MyPyramid Healthy Eating Tips for Kids:
- Regularly choose whole-grain foods such as whole-wheat bread, oatmeal and low-fat popcorn
- Vary your veggies. Eat a variety of vegetables especially those that are dark green and orange
- Enjoy fruits. Eat fruits for meals and snacks. Limit fruit juice.
- Get your calcium. Build strong bones by enjoying low-fat and fat-free milk products each day
- Choose lean protein. Eat lean or low-fat meat and poultry. Enjoy beans and peas.
- Choose healthy oils such as corn, soybean, canola and olive oil for cooking
- Avoid extra sugar. Choose foods that do not have sugar and caloric sweeteners as one of the first ingredients. Avoid sugary drinks
For more information and activities about health eating for kids visit www.MyPyramid.gov and click on “Kids”. At this website, play games, print coloring pages, worksheets, posters, and download educational materials.